Tuesday, March 27, 2012

brain antipatterns ii : multiplexing

Very early I found that multiplexing between tasks has advantages. Exams rarely are sequential, questions can be linearly related thus reading these globally will improve your knowledge of the problem, or non-sequential therefore you can and should average time allocation for them. Nowadays I don't do well with multitasking, right now I'm listening to a talk about emotions effects on cells, while browsing 12 tabs. I think this is related to a difficulty of focusing and deep concentration leading you to switch to other tasks as soon as you feel stuck. Just like an exam. There's a limit above which multiplexing fails, it's well known in computers, too much multitasking means no work done, all energy is spent in context switching.
Now I just recalled something I did in high school, whenever I was new in class and had nobody to waste attention with , yet bored with most of the details of the course, I filled the 'interest' lacking by rewriting the course in my own term with some sort of organized presentation. Indentation, color schemes, columns, commentaries. It was the same content but twisted so the main information I cared about was the center, and expressed by words and structure. This kept me deeply interested in the subject by trying to find a clear and concise way to put out my mind model, while testing it at the same time for some holes.

No comments:

Post a Comment