Saturday, February 18, 2012

Patchwork English

I tend to think and speak in English quite easily since a few years. Around early 2Ks I spent an awful amount of time watching instructional material like musical instrument master classes, software tutorials, my first non-dubbed movies too. Few years back I went virtually abroad using Omegle, I was constantly in sync with America's Time Zone; this was the new epic TV show era (lost, prison break, whatever), I even watched Jay Leno twice. Live chat with north american was alright, some thought I wasn't European, some just said my English was really great. But.. writing is a whole different game. I'm amazed by my lack of grammar knowledge, my failed metaphors, abuse of almost common Latin-rooted nouns,  abuse of these boringly-long-adjective-driven-verb-free sentences, lucky-guess spelling and an overall limited vocabulary that ends up really repetitive.
As an excuse I can almost say the same for my native languages .. I never learned properly, my brain is good at grabbing pompous idioms that impress people. I come across a lot of great writers/bloggers I hope I'd incorporate some of their skills. In the meantime I visit etymonline.com 5 times a day on average which helps too.

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment